This is the LAST time I’ll discuss this subject on Facebook.
I was raised and spent 56 years of my life as a staunch Republican, running successful campaigns and following what I believed. I supported GW for his first term, and was so disappointed that by the the second term, I did not. Then along came the alt-right pushing the boundaries further and further from the Center where I’d always felt I belonged.
And then there was Donald. My old arch business enemy. Cheated me. Stole from me. Just one of those things. For ME, it was SIMPLY personal. That’s it, that’s all, and I think if any one of you had been in my shoes, you would have felt the same.
So I began writing about why I felt he was wrong for the country.
Now THAT, is the very short version, but you see, it got so much worse.
Those of you who know me, know very well that I absolutely REFUSE to be cornered. Putting me in the metaphorical corner is simply BEGGING for a fight. I apologize for that personal weakness, and I DO believe that it is one, and I’ve prayed over this begging for intervention. It HAS gotten better, I’ve learned to sidestep the corner so as to avoid it, but sometimes, it just happens.
It happened at Church.
One lady in particular, and one gentleman in particular.
The lady made a simple and yet searing statement. “You CAN’T be a Christian and be against Donald Trump.” I made the “assumption” that she thought that I was NOT a believer, because I didn’t like “her” guy. OK then.
The Gentleman called me a “libtard, wishy-washy” and something else that I simply didn’t hear because I was back peddling so as not to beat the living crap out of them in the Sanctuary. I felt THAT might be in even WORSE poor taste than their offenses. In retrospect, I SHOULD have explained to them that I was NOT a liberal, but even if I WAS, it was no business of theirs and YES, I COULD still be a Christian.
I have to admit, in all honesty, the Evangelical movement “today” has me bristling and NOT particularly interested in ANY of their (to me) nonsensical behavior or beliefs. I’m still a faithful follower of Jesus, but some of his “people” are driving me crazy.
I’ve always been Centric or Centrist. I occupy, mostly, the middle ground where things “get done”. That apparently made me a RHINO and “expendable” to the Republican Party of today. So I walked, straight to the Courthouse and registered as an Independent.
I’ve been attacked on Social Media (who hasn’t?), told that I wouldn’t know the “truth” if I saw it. I had one guy, who was NOT a veteran, who told me that I could NOT POSSIBLY have served and be against Trump. He then went on to explain that liberals could NEVER be patriots. That, believe it or not, forced me to do something I had never done. I got online at the va.gov and ordered a Veterans ID Card.
I’ve spent YEARS NOT talking about, or wearing any “vet gear.” I take the time, EVERY time, to stop and thank those who do, for their service. I’ve never, once in my life, looked for anything in “return” for having done my stint in the Military of America. It’s never been “my thing.”
I have learned several things in my lifetime.
- Never Engage in a Battle you Can’t win or aren’t committed to win. If it’s not “worth the time,” walk away
- ALWAYS win your battles, no matter the cost, if you choose to engage. Again, if you aren’t going to give all, walk away
- ALWAYS be ready to walk from ANY deal, no matter WHAT it is. There is NO deal, that important, that you should get “hung up” on. NOTHING, EVER.
- The only thing that “makes” you YOU, is what is in your heart and your head. Don’t let ANYONE else “define” you.
- Material Things, just don’t matter, not even a little bit. They’ll come and go, and who actually cares
- Be absolutely FEARLESS at everything you do, Fear is the enemy, Don’t let it own you, EVER
- People Matter, but don’t be afraid to show them the door if they can’t play nice
- You are the ONLY person in the world that KNOWS the truth. Everyone else is simply guessing
- Respect everyone, give them that up front, don’t wait for them to respect you first You WILL get disappointed, but it’s better YOU are, then everyone else.
- There is a line somewhere, that people can NOT cross with you. Try to keep “moving” that line so you become more flexible in life. However,If and when they do cross the line, walk away before you hurt someone
Yesterday, I went to look at cars. I wanted a van and I picked one out. The dealer, asked how many in my family and I told him it was just me.
You will NEVER, not in your lifetime, GUESS what I was told.
I was told that since it was just me, they saw no reason for me to need or buy a van.
I apologize, but I had NO IDEA that I REQUIRED a reason to buy a van, so I told him I’d changed my mind, I wanted a dump truck. When he asked why I thought I needed a dump truck, I told him I needed it to haul away his pile of shit.
THIS IS WHAT AMERICA IS BECOMING.
- Where are your Papers.
- WHY do you need that?
- You have to pick a side.
- You have to be LOYAL to the President.
- Have to, have to have to.